GA-5S Dual Band, Tri-Power Radio
Operation wise the GA-5S appears to be identical to the Baofeng BF-F8HP. It functions exactly the same and is programmable via CHIRP. It came with all the standard accessories and uses the same programming cable as the UV-5R, BF-F8HP and many other HTs. I like this one a little more however and I'll explain why.
For this review I'll be comparing the GA-5S to the BF-F8HP
What I like:
- Smaller more compact
- More of a solid feel
- Nicer backlit buttons
- Better sound
- Headset connection cover
- LED torch lens
- Decent stock antenna
The only thing I really don't like is the PTT button. With the sleek design the side buttons do not stick out very far. The PTT and CALL button are actually one large button. The bottom half is PTT and the top half is CALL but they are not separated very well.
Even with the difficult PTT button I still prefer this radio.
- 128 Memory Channels
- Dual Band, Dual Display, Dual Standby
- High/Mid/Low Power Model (7W/5W/1W )
- FM Radio
- Frequency Range: VHF: 136-174mHz(TX/RX), UHF: 400-520mHz (TX/RX), 65-108mHz(commercial FM radio reception only)
- 1800mAh, 7.4v, Li-ion Battery
- Broadband (Wide) 25kHz, Narrowband (Narrow) 12.5kHz Selectable
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 2.17" x 1.18" x 4.53" (without antenna)
- Weight: 190g
If you're trying to decide between this and other tri-power radios I hope this has helped you.